Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Counting Blessings

Counting Blessings...

Another year has passed, and life is good.  Even though I work long hours, I am doing what I love and working for myself. I have an amazing husband who never judges me for my unreliable paychecks. He is the most supportive partner I could ever ask for. I have a beautiful, solid house, though over run with pottery, shipping supplies, and clutter. 

God has blessed me beyond what I deserve. 

Today I'm celebrating life and it's many blessings.

Last week my grandfather, Charles Bausch, passed away. While living in Columbus before I met and married my husband I stayed with my parents, and I was saving money and making art as well as working part time jobs and going to art school. During these years I regularly stopped by my "Nana and Daddy-da's" house for lunch time visits every week...sometimes 3 or 4 times. It wasn't that I was just a broke college kid, they live about a mile from my parent's house. My Daddy-da would always greet me with a big hug immediately upon walking through the front door. I'll miss those hugs. Every single one of those big bear hugs meant I was loved. As he became sicker in these past couple of years, this large man became more frail. Even in his "bad days", even if he was unable to get out of bed, until he was at his weakest these past couple of weeks, he still could muster up one of these wonderful, strong, warm, hugs I so adored.

After moving to the Macon area, I was unable to just swing by anytime for a visit. Every time I spoke to Daddy-da or my Nana over the telephone they both told me that they miss me, and I missed them too. Both of my grandparents regularly said that they were so very proud of me and my pottery and ceramic jewelry business. Nana still does. God blessed me with wonderful grandparents... I have wonderful parents too.

So many people attended my grandfather's visitation and funeral. Despite the rainy, blustery January weather we managed to pack the house. Daddy-da was an Eagle Scout, a Scout Master, and also a Chaplain for the Boy Scouts of America. I never knew of his role as a chaplain. Volumes should be written of my grandfather. He was a fine man. He touched lives. He was a blessing to me and many others. In spite of my grief I celebrate his life.

I know in daily struggles it's easier to complain about the cards we've been dealt. This year my resolution is to have an attitude of gratefulness, to recognize my abundant blessings, and regularly thank the Lord. Here's to 2013! I'm going to make my Daddy-da proud!



No comments:

Post a Comment